Short Communication, Rrpy Vol: 0 Issue: 0
A REVIEW OF MENTAL HEALTH RESPONSES TO PANDEMICS
certified child, adolescent and adult psychiatrist, USA
OBJECTIVE: Author reviewed the literature published from 2005 regarding mental health responses to pandemics.
METHOD: The review began with a computerized literature search. Further sources were located through citations from articles identified in the original search.
RESULTS: The author synthesized the contents of the articles reviewed using the categories of
1) Identifying the mental health related implications of a pandemic as well as effects from being in quarantine
2) Effects on healthcare professionals
3) Identifying high risk populations
4) Optimizing screening protocols
5) Administering intervention and treatment effectively
6) Evidence based treatments targeting mental health symptoms CONCLUSION: Prior research has shown that there can be profound mental health related effects from a pandemic and those who are already dealing with mental illness have an exacerbation of symptoms. High risk populations should be identified with heightened screening, and appropriate evidence-based interventions administered which can help decrease mental health related symptoms.
Keywords: Psychiatry, Psychology
Dr. Anandhi Narasimhan is a double board certified child, adolescent and adult psychiatrist in Los Angeles, California in the U.S.A. She has had numerous media appearances including CNN, CNN International, USA Today, E!, The Tavis Smiley Show, Fox News, Vice, etc. She completed her adult psychiatry residency at Duke University Medical Center and her child psychiatry fellowship at UCLA Medical Center. Dr. Narasimhan also received the “Hind Rattan” Award or Jewel of India award for her contributions to medicine and media. She is also an asylum evaluator for Physicians for Human Rights and involved in research looking into using digital therapeutics and artificial intelligence to improve early detection and interventions.
• de Bellis, Michael & Narasimhan, Anandhi & Thatcher, Dawn & Keshavan, Matcheri & Soloff, Paul & Clark, Duncan. (2005). Prefrontal Cortex, Thalamus, and Cerebellar Volumes in Adolescents and Young Adults with AdolescentâÂÂÂÂOnset Alcohol Use Disorders and Comorbid Mental Disorders. Alcoholism, clinical and experimental research. 29. 1590-600. 10.1097/01. alc.0000179368.87886.76
GOPALAKRISHNAN, G. & ANANDHI, S.. (2010). ChemInform Abstract: Facile Synthesis of 3-(p-Alkoxyphenyl)-3-methyl-2- butanones. Cheminform. 26. 10.1002/chin.199547118.
• GOPALAKRISHNAN, G. & ANANDHI, S.. (2010). ChemInform Abstract: Synthesis of 4-(2′-Chloro-1′,1′-dimethylethyl) alkoxybenzenes. Cheminform. 26. 10.1002/chin.199544092.
• Geetha, Gopalakrishnan & ANANDHI, S. & NARASIMHAN, N.. (2010). ChemInform Abstract: A Facile Synthesis of Pivalophenones by Ultrasound Assisted AlCl3 Catalyzed FriedelCrafts Reaction.. ChemInform. 28. 10.1002/chin.199703116.