Review Article, Res Rep Gastroenterol Vol: 4 Issue: 2
Toxic Megacolon: Management Challenges
Stella Compagnoni1*, Marta Chiavetta and Mario Cottone1
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Palermo, Palermo, Italy
*Corresponding Author : Stella Compagnoni
Internal Medicine Fellowship, University of Palermo, Palermo, Italy
E-Mail: [email protected] ; [email protected]
Received date: June 15, 2020; Accepted date: June 25, 2020; Published date: July 5, 2020
Citation: Compagnoni S, Chiavetta M, Cottone M (2020) Toxic Megacolon: Management Challenges. Res Rep Gastroenterol 4:2. doi: 10.37532/rrg.2020.4(1).112
Toxic Megacolon (TM) is a non-obstructive dilatation of the colon, either total or segmental, associated with systemic toxicity. Even though it is best known as a consequence of Inflammatory Bowel Diseases (IBD) and it is mostly related to Ulcerative Colitis (UC), it may be also a complication of other conditions, such as infectious diseases. In fact, the epidemiology of TM has lately changed: there has been a recent increase in the number of reports of TM associated with pseudomembranous colitis (PMC) and, hereupon, the Clostridium difficile has spread as one of the most important causes of TM. However, more precise data about the epidemiology of TM should be collected. Due to its systemic involvement, TM is a severe and life-threatening condition that still represents a big challenge for both physicians and surgeons. A multidisciplinary team should take care of the patient with a close monitoring and the surgeons should be involved from the very onset of TM, since it often requires a surgical treatment and the establishment of the right timing to perform it can be very difficult. Even though the mainstay of the therapy is the treatment of the underlying cause of TM, the milestones of the current therapy are mostly extrapolated from old trials about IBD patients, especially those who are affected by severe UC. Therefore, one of the main difficulties about management of TM is the lack of recent randomized clinical trials comparing different approaches to TM.
Keywords: Toxic Megacolon, Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, Clostridium difficile colitis
- Gan SI and Beck PL (2003) A new look at toxic megacolon: an update and review of incidence, etiology, pathogenesis, and management. Am. J. Gastroenterol 98: 2363-2367.
- Greenstein AJ, Sachar DB, Gibas A, Schrag D, Heimann T, et al. (1985) Outcome of toxic dilatation in ulcerative and Crohn’s colitis. J. Clin. Gastroenterol. 7: 137-143.
- Latella GA, Vernia P, Viscido A, Frieri G, Cadau G, et al. (2002) GI distension in severe ulcerative colitis. Am. J. Gastroenterol. 97: 1169-1175.
- Ausch C, Madoff RD, Gnant M, Rosen HR, Garcia-Aguilar J, et al. (2006) Aetiology and surgical management of toxic megacolon. Colorectal Dis 8: 195-201.
- Doshi R, Desai J, Shah Y, Decter D, and Doshi S (2018) Incidence, features, in-hospital outcomes and predictors of in-hospital mortality associated with toxic megacolon hospitalizations in the United States. Intern. Emerg. Med. 13: 881-887.
- McDonald LC, Killgore GE, Thompson A, Owens RC, Sophia VK, et al. (2005) An epidemic, toxin gene-variant strain of Clostridium difficile. N. Engl. J. Med. 353: 2433-2441.
- Berman L, Carling T, Fitzgerald TN, Bell RL, Duffy AJ, et al. (2008) Defining surgical therapy for pseudomembranous colitis with toxic megacolon.,” J. Clin. Gastroenterol. 42: 476-480.
- Earhart M and Meghan M (2008) The identification and treatment of toxic megacolon secondary to pseudomembranous colitis. Dimens. Crit. Care Nurs. 27: 249-254.
- Hall JF, and Berger D (2008) Outcome of colectomy for Clostridium difficile colitis: a plea for early surgical management. Am. J. Surg. 196: 384-388.
- Chaudhuri A and Bekdash BA (2002) Toxic megacolon due to Salmonella: a case report and review of the literature. Int. J. Colorectal Dis. 17: 275-9.
- Brodrick R and Sagar J (2012) Toxic megacolon from sexually transmitted Shigella sonnei infection. Int. J. Colorectal Dis. 27: pp 415.
- Schneider A, Rünzi M, Peitgen K, Birgelen CV, and Gerken G (2000) Campylobacter jejuni-induced severe colitis--a rare cause of toxic megacolon. Z. Gastroenterol. 38: 307-309.
- Hommes DW, Sterringa G, van Deventer SJH, Tytgat GNJ, and Weel J (2004) The pathogenicity of cytomegalovirus in inflammatory bowel disease: a systematic review and evidence-based recommendations for future research. Inflamm. Bowel Dis. 10: 245-250.
- Wig JD, Talwar BL, and Bushnurmath SR (1981) Toxic dilatation complicating fulminant amoebic colitis. Br. J. Surg. 68: 135-136.
- Criscuoli V, Rizzuto MR, Gallo E, Orlando A, and Cottone M (2015) Toxic megacolon and human Cytomegalovirus in a series of severe ulcerative colitis patients. J. Clin. Virol. 66: 103-106.
- Beaugerie L, Ngo Y, Goujard F, Gharakhanian S, Carbonell F, et al. (1994) Etiology and management of toxic megacolon in patients with human immunodeficiency virus infection. Gastroenterology 107: 858-863, 1994.
- Mohite U, Kell J, Hej MA, O'Brien C, Kundu S, et al. (2007) Invasive aspergillosis localised to the colon presenting as toxic megacolon. Eur. J. Haematol. 78: 270-273, 2007.
- Hung C-W, Wu W-F, and Wu C-L (2009) Rotavirus gastroenteritis complicated with toxic megacolon. Acta Paediatr. 98: 1850-1852.
- Maguire K, Keys C, Kronfli R, Penman D, and Haddock G (2010) Colonic stricture and fistula following haemolytic uraemic syndrome with toxic megacolon. Eur. J. Pediatr. Surg. 20: 210-212.
- C. Markoglou et al. (1993) Toxic megacolon secondary to acute ischemic colitis. Hepatogastroenterology. 40: 188-190.
- Umehara Y, Kudo M, and Kawasaki M (2010) Endoscopic findings of intestinal Behçets disease complicated with toxic megacolon. Endoscopy 42: e173-174.
- Moya SA, Codina JG, Rodriguez PM, Perez JP, et at. (2000) “Toxic megacolon: a rare presentation of primary lymphoma of the colon. Eur. J. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 12: 583-586.
- Biggs BA, Crowe SM, Lucas CR, Ralston M, Thompson IL, et at. (1987) AIDS related Kaposi’s sarcoma presenting as ulcerative colitis and complicated by toxic megacolon. Gut 28: 1302-1306.
- Gara CJ, Gagic N, Arnold A, and Seaton T (1991) Toxic megacolon associated with anticancer chemotherapy. Can. J. Surg. 34: 339-341.
- Hayes-Lattin BM, Curtin PT, Fleming WH, Leis JF, Stepan DE, et al. (2002) Toxic megacolon: A life-threatening complication of high-dose therapy and autologous stem cell transplantation among patients with AL amyloidosis. Bone Marrow Transplant 30: 279-285.
- Tomita R, Tanjoh K, Fujisaki S, and Fukuzawa M, “Peptidergic nerves in the colon of patients with ulcerative colitis. Hepatogastroenterology. 47: 400-404.
- Snape WJ and Kao HW (1988) Role of inflammatory mediators in colonic smooth muscle function in ulcerative colitis. Dig. Dis. Sci. 33: 65S-70S.
- Reddy SN, Bazzocchi G, Chan S, Yanni G, Mena I, et al. (1991) Colonic Motility and Transit in Health and Ulcerative Colitis. Gastroenterology 101: 1289-1297.
- Boeckxstaens GE, Pelckmans PA, Herman AG, and Van Maercke YM (1993) Involvement of Nitric Oxide in the Inhibitory Innervation of the Human Isolated Colon. Gastroenterology 104: 690-697.
- Lundberg S, Holst M, and Hellström PM (2006) Expression of iNOS mRNA associated with suppression of colonic contraction in rat colitis. Acta Physiol. (Oxf). 187: 489-494.
- Palatka K, Serfozo Z, Vereb Z, Hargitay Z, Lontay B, et al. (2005) Changes in the expression and distribution of the inducible and endothelial nitric oxide synthase in mucosal biopsy specimens of inflammatory bowel disease. Scand. J. Gastroenterol. 40: 670-680.
- M. Mourelle, Casellas F, Guarner F, Salas A, Riveros-Moreno V, et al. (1995) Induction of nitric oxide synthase in colonic smooth muscle from patients with toxic megacolon. Gastroenterology 109: 1497-1502.
- Cao W, Fiocchi C, and Pricolo VE (2005) Production of IL-1β, hydrogen peroxide, and nitric oxide by colonic mucosa decreases sigmoid smooth muscle contractility in ulcerative colitis. Am. J. Physiol. - Cell Physiol 289: C1408-C1416.
- Hartong WA, Arvanitakis C, Skibba RM, and Klotz AP (1977) Treatment of toxic megacolon. A comparative review of 29 patients. Am J Dig Dis 22: 195-200.
- Jalan KN, Sircus W, Card WI, Falconer CW, Bruce CB, et al. (1969) An experience of ulcerative colitis. I. Toxic dilation in 55 cases. Gastroenterology 57: 68-82.
- Caprilli R, Vernia P, Colaneri O, and Torsoli A (1976) Blood pH: a test for assessment of severity in proctocolitis. Gut 17: 763-769.
- Benchimol EI, Turner D, Mann EH, Thomas KE, Gomes T, et al. (2008) Toxic megacolon in children with inflammatory bowel disease: clinical and radiographic characteristics. Am. J. Gastroenterol. 103: 1524-1531.
- Turner D, Walsh CM, Benchimol EI, Mann EH, Thomas KE, et al. (2008) Severe paediatric ulcerative colitis: incidence, outcomes and optimal timing for second-line therapy. Gut 57: 331-338.
- Maconi G, Sampietro GM, Ardizzone S, Cristaldi M, Danelli P, et al. (2004) CASE REPORT: Ultrasonographic Detection of Toxic Megacolon in Inflammatory Bowel Diseases. Dig Dis Sci 49: 138-142.
- Imbriaco M and Balthazar EJ (2001) Toxic megacolon: role of CT in evaluation and detection of complications. Clin. Imaging 25: 349-354.
- D. Mege et al. (2017) Is abdominal CT useful for the management of patients with severe acute colitis complicating inflammatory bowel disease? A study in 54 consecutive patients. Colorectal Dis 19: O97-O102.
- Johal SS, Hammond J, Solomon K, James PD, and Mahida YR (2004) Clostridium difficile associated diarrhoea in hospitalised patients: onset in the community and hospital and role of flexible sigmoidoscopy. Gut 53: 673-677.
- Kornbluth A and Sachar DB (2010) Ulcerative colitis practice guidelines in adults: American college of gastroenterology, practice parameters committee,” Am J Gastroenterol 105: 501-523.
- Travis SPL, Stange EF, Lemann M, Oresland T, Bemelman WA, et al. (2008) European evidence-based Consensus on the management of ulcerative colitis: Current management. J Crohns Colitis 2: 24-62.
- Rosenberg W, Ireland A, and Jewell DP (1990) High-dose methylprednisolone in the treatment of active ulcerative colitis. J Clin Gastroenterol 12: 40-41.
- Rosenberg W, Ireland A, and Jewell DP (1990) High-dose methylprednisolone in the treatment of active ulcerative colitis. J Clin Gastroenterol 12: 40-41.
- Turner D, Walsh CM, Steinhart AH, and Griffiths AM (2007) Response to corticosteroids in severe ulcerative colitis: a systematic review of the literature and a meta-regression. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 5: 103-110.
- Kornbluth A, Marion JF, Salomon P, and Janowitz HD (1995) How effective is current medical therapy for severe ulcerative and Crohn’s colitis? An analytic review of selected trials. J Clin Gastroenterol 20: 280-284.
- Autenrieth DM and Baumgart DC (2012) Toxic megacolon. Inflamm Bowel Dis 18: 584-591.
- Dignass AU, Gasche C, Bettenworth D, Birgegard G, Danese S, et al. (2015) European consensus on the diagnosis and management of iron deficiency and anaemia in inflammatory bowel diseases. J Crohn’s Colitis 9: 211-222.
- Takeuchi K, Smale S, Premchand P, Maiden L, Sherwood R, et al. (2006) Prevalence and mechanism of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug-induced clinical relapse in patients with inflammatory bowel disease. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 4: 196-202.
- Kefalakes H, Stylianides TJ, Amanakis G, and Kolios G (2009) Exacerbation of inflammatory bowel diseases associated with the use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs: myth or reality? Eur J Clin Pharmacol 65: 963-970.
- Kvasnovsky CL, Aujla U, and Bjarnason I (2015) Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and exacerbations of inflammatory bowel disease. Scand J Gastroenterol 50: 255-263.
- Long MD, Barnes EL, Herfarth HH, and Drossman DA (2012) Narcotic use for inflammatory bowel disease and risk factors during hospitalization. Inflamm. Bowel Dis 18: 869-876.
- Hideaki K, Haru K, M. Nakamura M, and Nakamura A (2007) A case of toxic megacolon secondary to Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea worsened after administration of an antimotility agent and molecular analysis of recovered isolates. J Gastroenterol 42: 507-508.
- Kappelman MD, Horvath-Puho E, Sandler RS, Rubin DT, Thomas AU, et al. (2011) Thromboembolic risk among Danish children and adults with inflammatory bowel diseases: A population-based nationwide study. Gut 60: 937-943.
- Grainge MJ, West J, and Card TR (2010) Venous thromboembolism during active disease and remission in inflammatory bowel disease: a cohort study. Lancet 375: 657-663.
- Harbord M, Annese V, Vavricka SR, Allez M, Acosta MB, et al. (2016) The First European Evidence-based Consensus on Extra-intestinal Manifestations in Inflammatory Bowel Disease for the European Crohn’s and Colitis Organisation [ECCO]. J Crohn’s Colitis pp. 1–16.
- Nguyen GC, Bernstein CN, Bitton A, Chan AK, Griffiths AM, et al. (2014) Consensus statements on the risk, prevention, and treatment of venous thromboembolism in inflammatory bowel disease: Canadian Association of Gastroenterology. Gastroenterology 146: 835-848.e6.
- Miehsler W, Reinisch W, Valic E, Osterode W, Tillinger W, et al. (2004) Is inflammatory bowel disease an independent and disease specific risk factor for thromboembolism? Gut 53: 542-548.
- González-Huix F, Fernandez-Banares F, Esteve-Comas M, Abad-Lacruz A, Cabre E, et al. (1993) Enteral versus parenteral nutrition as adjunct therapy in acute ulcerative colitis. Am J Gastroenterol 88: 227-232, 1993.
- McIntyre PB, Wood SR, Powell-Tuck J, Lenard-Jones JE, Lerebours E, et al. (1986) Controlled trial of bowel rest in the treatment of severe acute colitis. Gut 27: 481-485.
- Chapman RW, Selby WS, and Jewell DP (1986) Controlled trial of intravenous metronidazole as an adjunct to corticosteroids in severe ulcerative colitis. Gut 27: 1210-1212.
- Mantzaris GJ, Hatzis A, Kontogiannis P, and Triadaphyllou G (1994) Intravenous Tobramycin and Metronidazole as an Adjunct to Corticosteroids in Acute, Severe Ulcerative Colitis. Am J Gastroenterol 89: 43-46.
- Mantzaris GJ, Petraki K, Archavlis E, Amberiadis P, Kourtessas, et al. (2001) A prospective randomized controlled trial of intravenous ciprofloxacin as an adjunct to corticosteroids in acute, severe ulcerative colitis. Scand J Gastroenterol 36: 971-974.
- Lynch RW, Lowe D, Protheroe A, Driscoll R, Rhodes JM, and Arnott IDR (2013) Outcomes of rescue therapy in acute severe ulcerative colitis: data from the United Kingdom inflammatory bowel disease audit. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 38: 935-945.
- Negrón ME, Barkema HW, Rioux K, Buck JD, CheckleyS, et al. (2014) Clostridium difficile infection worsens the prognosis of ulcerative colitis. Can J Gastroenterol Hepatol 28: 373-380.
- Murthy SK, Steinhart AH, Tinmouth J, Austin PC, Daneman N, et al. (2012) Impact of Clostridium difficile colitis on 5-year health outcomes in patients with ulcerative colitis. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 36: 1032-1039.
- Navaneethan U, Mukewar S, Venkatesh PGK, Lopez R, and Shen B (2012) Clostridium difficile infection is associated with worse long term outcome in patients with ulcerative colitis. J Crohns Colitis 6: 330-336.
- Ben-Horin S, Margalit M, Bossuyt P, Maul J, Shapira Y, et al. (2009) Combination immunomodulator and antibiotic treatment in patients with inflammatory bowel disease and clostridium difficile infection. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 7: 981-987.
- Papadakis KA, Tung JK, Binder SW, Kam LY, Abreu MT. (2001) Outcome of cytomegalovirus infections in patients with inflammatory bowel disease. Am J Gastroenterol 96: 2137-2142.
- Kishore J, Ghoshal U, Ghoshal UC, Krishnani N, Kumar S, et al. (2004) Infection with cytomegalovirus in patients with inflammatory bowel disease: prevalence, clinical significance and outcome. J Med Microbiol 53: 1155-1160.
- Domènech E, Vega R, Ojanguren I, Hernandez A, Garcia-Planella E, et al. (2008) Cytomegalovirus infection in ulcerative colitis: A prospective, comparative study on prevalence and diagnostic strategy. Inflamm Bowel Dis 14: 1373-1379.
- Lee H-S, Park SH, Sung-Han K, Kim J, Choi J, et al. (2016) Risk Factors and Clinical Outcomes Associated with Cytomegalovirus Colitis in Patients with Acute Severe Ulcerative Colitis. Inflamm Bowel Dis 22: 912-918.
- Rahier JF, Margo F, Abreu C, Armuzzi A, Ben-Horin S, et al. (2014) Second European evidence-based consensus on the prevention, diagnosis and management of opportunistic infections in inflammatory bowel disease. J Crohns Colitis 8: 443-468.
- Rokas KEE, Johnson JW, Beardsley JR, Ohl CA, Luther VP, et al. (2015) The Addition of Intravenous Metronidazole to Oral Vancomycin is Associated With Improved Mortality in Critically Ill Patients With Clostridium difficile Infection. Clin Infect Dis 61: 934-941.
- Goligher JC, Hoffman DC, and De Dombal FT (1970) Surgical treatment of severe attacks of ulcerative colitis, with special reference to the advantages of early operation. Br Med J 4: 703-706.
- D’Amico C, Vitale A, Angriman I, Ruffolo, D'Amico F, et al. (2005) Early surgery for the treatment of toxic megacolon. Digestion 72: 146-149.
- Grant CS and Dozois RR (1984) Toxic megacolon: ultimate fate of patients after successful medical management. Am J Surg 147: 106-110.
- Synnott K, Mealy K, Merry C, Kyne L, Keane C, et al. (1998) Timing of surgery for fulminating pseudomembranous colitis. Br J Surg 85: 229-231.
- Grundfest-Broniatowski S, Quader M, Alexander F, Walsh RM, Lavery I, et al. (1996) Clostridium difficile colitis in the critically ill. Dis Colon Rectum 39: 619-623.
- Carchman EH and Heise CP (2016) Colorectal Neoplasms: Screening and Surveillance After Polypectomy. The ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery pp 417-431.
- Alves A, Panis Y, Bouhnik Y, Maylin V, Lavergne-Slove A, et al. (2003) Subtotal colectomy for severe acute colitis: a 20-year experience of a tertiary care center with an aggressive and early surgical policy. J Am Coll Surg 197: 379-385.
- Pandey S, Luther G, Konstantin U, Gautham M, Michele R, et al. (2011) Minimally invasive pouch surgery for ulcerative colitis: is there a benefit in staging? Dis Colon Rectum 54: 306-310.
- Tøttrup A, Erichsen R, Sværke C, Laurberg S, and Srensen HT (2012) Thirty-day mortality after elective and emergency total colectomy in Danish patients with inflammatory bowel disease: a population-based nationwide cohort study. BMJ Open 2: e000823.
- Pal S, Sahni P, Pande GK, Acharya SK, and Chattopadhyay TK (2005) Outcome following emergency surgery for refractory severe ulcerative colitis in a tertiary care centre in India. BMC Gastroenterol 5: 39.
- De Silva S, Ma C, Proulx M-C, Crespin M, Kaplan BS, et al. (2011) Postoperative Complications and Mortality Following Colectomy for Ulcerative Colitis. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 9: 972-980.