A REVIEW OF MENTAL HEALTH RESPONSES TO PANDEMICS
OBJECTIVE: Author reviewed the literature published from 2005 regarding mental health responses to pandemics.
METHOD: The review began with a computerized literature search. Further sources were located through citations from articles identified in the original search.
RESULTS: The author synthesized the contents of the articles reviewed using the categories of
1) Identifying the mental health related implications of a pandemic as well as effects from being in quarantine
2) Effects on healthcare professionals
3) Identifying high risk populations
4) Optimizing screening protocols
5) Administering intervention and treatment effectively
6) Evidence based treatments targeting mental health symptoms CONCLUSION: Prior research has shown that there can be profound mental health related effects from a pandemic and those who are already dealing with mental illness have an exacerbation of symptoms. High risk populations should be identified with heightened screening, and appropriate evidence-based interventions administered which can help decrease mental health related symptoms.