International Journal of Ophthalmic PathologyISSN: 2324-8599

Reach Us +1 850 900 2634
All submissions of the EM system will be redirected to Online Manuscript Submission System. Authors are requested to submit articles directly to Online Manuscript Submission System of respective journal.

Research Article, Int J Ophthalmic Pathol Vol: 6 Issue: 4

Demographic Characteristics of Ocular Surface Squamous Neoplasia in a Tertiary Hospital

Omotoye OJ1*, Ajayi IA1, Omotayo JA2 and Ajogbasile OO1

1Department of Ophthalmology, Ekiti state university teaching hospital, Ado- Ekiti, Nigeria

2Department Anatomic Pathology, Ekiti state university teaching hospital, Ado- Ekiti, Nigeria

*Corresponding Author : Dr. Omotoye Olusola Joseph
Department of Ophthalmology, Ekiti University teaching hospital, Ado-Ekiti, Nigeria
Tel: +2348034976221
E-mail: [email protected]

Received: August 28, 2017 Accepted: November 03, 2017 Published: November 10, 2017

Citation: Omotoye OJ,Ajayi IA, Omotayo JA, Ajogbasile OO (2017) Demographic Characteristics of Ocular Surface Squamous Neoplasia in a Tertiary Hospital. Int J Ophthalmic Pathol 6:4. doi: 10.4172/2324-8599.1000212

Abstract

Aim: Ocular surface squamous neoplasia (OSSN) is the third most common ocular tumor in adults. To determine the incidence of ocular surface neoplasia with its demographic characteristics in order to plan a strategy to prevent ocular deformity that could result from this ocular lesion if neglected. Method: All clinic and theatre records with histological reports of patients managed for OSSN between October 2014 and August 2017 were reviewed to obtain age, sex, presenting complaints, visual acuity, type of surgery and histological diagnosis. Results: A total of 79 patients with histopathological diagnosis of Ocular surface squamous neoplasia were seen constituting 0.01% of all new cases. There were 54 (68.4%) females and 25 (31.6 %) males with a female to male ratio of 2.2:1.0. The presenting visual acuity of ≥ 6/18 in 73 (92.4%) was normal while the remaining 6 (7.6%) presented with visual impairment of <6/18 - >3/60. No patient presented with blindness. The majority 63(79.7%) of patients with OSSN were presented after four weeks of developing symptoms. Conclusion: The incidence of ocular surface neoplasia is low and common among young females. Majority presented after four weeks of onset of disease. Prompt and appropriate intervention is advocated to minimize mortality and morbidity from the disease.

Keywords: Demographic; Disease; Neoplasia; Ocular; Hospital

Track Your Manuscript

Share This Page