Evaluation of Knowledge, Attitude and Practices among nurses towards Pharmacovigilance Programme of India and reporting of adverse drug reactions in a tertiary care hospital
Spontaneous reporting of Adverse Drug Reactions is essential for the success of Pharmacovigilance Programme of India (PvPI). Nurses usually being the first contact person for patients in hospital set up, play a key role in reporting adverse drug reactions. Inadequate and improper reporting of Adverse drug reactions by health care professionals including nurses is the major obstacle for PvPI. This study was conducted to evaluate the knowledge, attitude and practices among nurses towards PvPI and reporting of adverse drug reactions.
This study is a questionnaire based cross-sectional study. A total of 130 nurses were evaluated on the basis of pre-formed questionnaire feedback forms for their knowledge, attitude and practices towards pharmacovigilance programme of India and reporting of adverse drug reactions.
On evaluation of the questionnaire feedback forms for knowledge, attitude and practices of nurses towards PvPI, it was found that despite satisfactory level of knowledge and positive attitude of nurses, the Adverse Drug Reactions reporting practices among them was inadequate and it needs to be enhanced.
It is necessary to develop an Adverse Drug Reactions reporting culture among nurses by increasing awareness and proper communication for an effective Pharmacovigilance system.
Dr Atul Jain has graduated from medical school in 1984, and completed his residency in Pharmacology in 1990 in Delhi India . He is currently working as Professor andHead of the Department Pharmacology at Dr Ram ManoharLohia Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh; India. He is actively involved in the patient-oriented research. He has published several papers in reputed journals.
- “Prescription pattern of antimicrobial agents by Dental practitioners; A questionnaire based study”; International Journal of basic & clinical Pharmacology / 2013 / 2 (3): 331 - 4
- “Comparative antidepressant efficacies of hydro alcoholic extract of aloe vera & Ginger with fluoxetine in mice”; International Journal of Pharmaceutical Archive (IJPA) / 2013 / 2(8): 1 - 6
- “Assessment of teaching methodology & Evaluation methods in Pharmacology in a private medical college”; World Journal of pharmaceutical research / 2013 / 2(6): 2172 – 2180
- “A Prospective study of Drug Utilization pattern in surgery department in a tertiary care teaching hospital in Rajasthan”; Universal journal of pharmacology / 2014 / 03(02):47-50
- “Uses of Antimicrobial in post operative patient in tertiary care teaching rural hospital”; European Journal of Pharmaceutical & Medical research / 2015 / 2(4):328-337
10th International Conference on Clinical Research and Clinical Trials; Amsterdam, Netherlands- March 18-19, 2020.
Evaluation of Knowledge, Attitude and Practices among nurses towards Pharmacovigilance Programme of India and reporting of adverse drug reactions in a tertiary care hospital, Euro Clinical Trials 2020, 10th International Conference on Clinical Research and Clinical Trials; Amsterdam, Netherlands- March 18-19, 2020 (https://clinicaltrials.pharmaceuticalconferences.com/abstract/2020/evaluation-of-knowledge-attitude-and-practices-among-nurses-towards-pharmacovigilance-programme-of-india-and-reporting-of-adverse-drug-reactions-in-a-tertiary-care-hospital)