Research Article, J Fashion Technol Textile Eng Vol: 8 Issue: 4
Amalgamation of Art and Fashion
*Corresponding Author: Kajal Mahamunkar
Department of Textiles and Apparel Designing
Sir Vithaldas Thackersey College of Home Science (Autonomous)
S.N.D.T Women’s University Mumbai, India
Received: August 24, 2020 Accepted: September 14, 2020 Published: September 24, 2020
Citation: Mahamunkar K, Tulshyan A (2020) Amalgamation of Art and Fashion. J Fashion Technol Textile Eng 8:4.
Fashion and Art are two methods that revolve around the same orb, which is creativity. These two worlds share a bridge that channel them together. Art can be visual, music, poetry, novel, play, dance, building, clothing, digital or virtual. When fashion is placed within the space of the museum and the art gallery, the product value evolves from consumer goods to art installation. In one quick slide fashion becomes a rare commodity to be collected and treasured for a life time. Taking fashion further is by introducing and highlighting the presence of art techniques into current trend. In this research, inspiration has been taken from two painting techniques and applied it on different fashion products using digital printing. This also makes the products sustainable as digital printing is very eco-friendly way of printing fabrics. “It’s an attempt to take art off the walls and bring it into our lives” says artist OonaD’Mello. Art has meaning for what it makes the viewer feel. “Making it wearable expands the conversation around it, where it exists and who consumes it” says OonaD’Mello in Hindustan Times weekend article.
Keywords: Aesthetic; Customized; Liquid art; Sustainable; Wearable art
Fashion is an art itself. Art in its own aspect has followed humanity through its times and the world of fashion has also been synonymous to it. The two mediums share a close relationship . Fashion has its deep roots set in self-expressionism where else art as well tends to express artist’s thought to the onlooker, by the colours used in artwork which evokes an emotion [2,3]. These factors could say a lot about the artist and his/her personality, just how dark makeup and ripped jeans could say in terms of self-expressionism in fashion. Fashion continues to find inspiration in fine arts .
Combining Art and Fashion, to create valuable products.
Different artworks were created using two painting techniques, one is bubble painting and another is fluid art/ acrylic pour. These two techniques were inspired from oceanic textures/ underwater sea textures as seen in (Figure 1). Four different sample artworks per techniques were created; out of which one artwork was choose per technique (Figures 2-4). Bubble painting was done on cartridge paper and fluid art was done on different fabrics such as cotton, canvas & satin materials [5-7]. These two paintings were then printed on polysatin fabric, using digital printing. Digital printing is one of the most sustainable and eco-friendly way of printing fabrics [8,9]. These digitally printed fabrics were used to make three different fashion products i.e. bubble painting was used to create asymmetrical skirt with invisible side zipper (Figure 3) and fluid art was used to make waist belt with metal buckle (Figure 5) and hair band [10-15] (Figure 6).
It seems as though fashion and fine art are true partners in creativity, colour and composition. It’s no surprise for the great artists of past to find today’s soft boundary between art and fashion as artists have been enchanted by fashion for as long as people have cared about cloths. Fashion is undoubtedly & equally fascinated by fine art. Fashion and art help us survive the reality of everyday life, and if you put them together – fashion is an art form, an art of self-expression, an art of change, and a work of art that tells us a story.
- Cutler EP, Tomasello J (2015) Art fashion collaborations and connections between icons. San Francisco: Chronicle Books.
- Geczy A (2014) Fashion and art. London: Bloomsbury Academic.
- Sachant PJ, Blood P, LeMieux J, Tekippe R (2016) Introduction to art: Design, context, and meaning. Dahlonega, GA: University of North Georgia Press.
- Impact of Art on Fashion. (n.d.).
- Introduction to Art/What is Art? (n.d.).
- FASHION MEETS ART (2018) May 26).
- Warrayat J (2016) Wearable sculptures? Dubai-based designer combining art, fashion.
- We Love, Combining Art and Fashion (2013) January.
- Yotka S (2017) How an Erotic, Religious Painting Became One of Fashion's Favorite Motifs.
- Grovier K(2017) Culture - When fashion and art collide.
- Fenner J (2017) From Prada to Stella McCartney, 10 Art-Inspired Fashion Looks to Wear This Fall Season.
- Artrepublic (2013).
- Anggadewi C, Sheany (2019) Amalgamation of Art and Fashion in Palais Brogniart, Paris.
- Heart TW (2019) With art and fashion collaborating like never before, we look at some of history's most important crossovers
- Blanks T (2015) Prada Spring 2014 Ready-to-Wear Fashion Show.