Commentary, J Addict Behav Ther Rehabil Vol: 9 Issue: 3
Cyberpsychology: An Overview of Addiction
Shri Ramswaroop Memorial University, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
Received Date: July 26, 2020; Accepted Date: July 29, 2020; Published Date: August 8, 2020
Citation: Tripathi A (2020) Cyberpsychology: An Overview of Addiction. J Addict Behav Ther Rehab 9:3. doi: 10.37532/jabtr.2020.9(3).195
Addiction is viewed as an over the top and neurotic conduct that causes reliance and limits opportunity . In spite of the fact that the idea of habit has been for the most part credited to the utilization of substances; various creators have discovered a progression of possibly addictive practices that don't include the utilization of medications. These practices have been identified with socially worthy exercises, for example, betting, sex, work, shopping and internet use [2,3]. These addictions that don't include the utilization have been called addictive practices .
Around the 90's various scientists had proposed web dependence as another confusion, just as dependence on computer games, TV and cell phones. It was then that another field of investigation of dependence rose comparable to data advances and interchanges, likewise called mechanical addictions . Inside this field of study, it is essential to make reference to the current constraints with respect to the acknowledgment of issues of tricky use and dependence on innovation. The halfway point between typical, unreasonable and addictive conduct is an impediment that has been explored lately . In spite of the fact that videogame enslavement has as of late been perceived, more examination is as yet required. Right now, the APA doesn't perceive most of addictive practices, characterizing them as an issue of motivation control [7,8]. There are still discussions about innovative dependence and the disarray of ideas, for example, risky use, over the top use, and obsessive use, among others . One of the most successive discussions is about the term of compulsion, which is the reason a few creators have utilized elective terms to clarify a similar conduct . Be that as it may, different creators characterize these ideas in an unexpected way. To make reference to a couple, dangerous use is identified with unpredictable use, influencing individual connections and an issue with regular daily existence . Then again, addictive conduct alludes to enthusiastic reliance, influencing the family, scholarly and workplace, just as social detachment and debilitating of day by day exercises ; it shows disintegration in the control of its utilization that shows itself in psychological, conduct and physiological side effects .
One of the models that help addictive behavior is the parts model of compulsion that clarifies enslavement from a biopsychological structure and characterizes it as an entirety of attributes, for example, conspicuousness, state of mind changes, resistance, forbearance, struggle and backslides . What's more, different investigations have dissected the distinction between unreasonable utilize and addictive conduct, relating mental angles in dependence, for example, gloom and separating between an obsessive conduct and a high commitment . Hence, albeit over the top use is a high-hazard factor for enslavement, it isn't simply the compulsion, however a trait of addictive conduct .
Addictive behavior has been examined in ongoing decades and has been identified with various ideas. Like most addictions, there is a solid relationship with melancholy and tension [17-19]. Lack of caution and neuroticism are attributes that are identified with addictive conduct [20-22]. Other examination factors have been connected, for example, stress, depression, self-destructive ideation, animosity, resting and dietary issues, just as substance addictions [23-25]. Inside the mechanical dependence, the various kinds and subtypes must be partitioned. For instance, dependence on interpersonal organizations is a subtype of internet enslavement. It is critical to examine the various kinds and subtypes independently, since various qualities and outcomes can be found [6,16,26]. Presently, the most well-known utilization of innovation has to do with the internet and inside this, the most mainstream action is the utilization of interpersonal organizations. The improper utilization of informal organizations has produced enthusiasm for the field of cyberpsychology, since it has been identified with negative angles and can be viewed as a hazard factor [27,28]. In any case, it has likewise been discovered that it tends to be a defensive factor in circumstances of contention, with informal communities being where negative considerations and feelings can get away, just as discovering social help [6,24,29,30]. Investigating the conduct instruments and neuropsychiatric results identified with addictive conduct may help in understanding the diverse hazard factors engaged with cerebrum issues, for example, those portrayed by Etindele Sosso FA as the "unpredictable mix" [31-33].
Characterizing the rules for diagnosing addictive conduct on the internet is one of the needs in cyberpsychology, particularly for those new ages of youngsters and youths who are drenched in innovation day by day and who have been presented to the internet from an exceptionally youthful age [8,9]. In spite of the fact that exploration has checked significant contrasts among over the top and obsessive conduct, there are still discussions about the definition and examples of fixation . Auditing internet enslavement from a biopsychosocial system , we can characterize it from alternate points of view: From the organic viewpoint, there is the neuroscientific act, which has connected internet habit with changes in neuronal availability and in the structure and working of the mind [34,35]. The intellectual conduct pose clarifies enslavement as maladaptive discernments, enhanced by ecological components, with a propensity in specific people with some mental attitudes and social encounters. The sociopsychological hypothesis hypothesizes that it emerges from the desire for positive outcomes, joined with self-adequacy and a helpless selfguideline of the correct utilization of the internet . These positions, as different clarifications from alternate points of view, can be supplemented to more readily comprehend the internet fixation.
As the years go, there will likewise be increasingly innovative advances. As needs be, the counteraction of obsessive practices identified with innovative addictions ought to be organized . Notwithstanding, explain that the utilization of innovation ought not be taken as something inalienably hurtful, since it offers benefits that can be identified with positive perspectives or defensive elements. In this way, the need of cyberpsychology ought to be the advancement of the solid utilization of innovation . Furthermore, the way to deal with mediation and avoidance ought to likewise be organized in the negative mental viewpoints that have been identified with addictive conduct, since fixation must be a side effect of another basic condition, for example, depression.
- Muñoz MI (2014) Mobile phone addiction. A Tu Salud 3: 3-8.
- Echeburúa E, De Corral P (2010) Addiction to new technologies and social networks in young people: a new challenge. Adicciones 22: 91-96.
- López AL (2004) Internet addiction: conceptualization and intervention proposal. Revista profesional española de terapia cognitivo-conductual 2: 22-52.
- Ruiz R, Lucena V, Pino M, Herruzo J (2010) Analysis of behaviors related to the use/abuse of the Internet, mobile phone, shopping and gaming in university students. Adicciones 22: 301-310.
- Carbonell X, Fúster H, Chamarro A, Oberst U (2012) Addiction to internet and mobile: a review of spanish empirical studies. Papeles del psicólogo 33: 82-89.
- Jasso-Medrano JL, Lopez-Rosales F (2018) Measuring the relationship between social media use and addictive behavior and depression and suicide ideation among university students. Comput Human Behav 87: 183-191.
- García del Castillo J, López-Sánchez C, Tur-Viñes V, García del Castillo-López A, Ramos I (2014) Social networks: Behavioral addiction or technological progress. Interactivity and Social Networks 28: 978-984.
- Tonioni F, Mazza M, Autullo G, Cappelluti R, Catalano V, et al. (2014) Is Internet addiction a psychopathological condition distinct from pathological gambling? Addict Behav 39: 1052-1056.
- Lam LT (2014) Risk factors of Internet addiction and the health effect of internet addiction on adolescents: A systematic review of longitudinal and prospective studies. Curr Psychiatry Rep 16: 508.
- Laconi S, Tricard N, Chabrol H (2015) Differences between specific and generalized problematic Internet uses according to gender, age, time spent online and psychopathological symptoms. Comput Human Behav 48: 236-244.
- Vivas GP, Torres FC (2011) Internet and moral panic: review of research on the interaction of children and young people with new media. Univ Psychol 10: 855-865.
- Beard KW, Wolf EM (2001) Modification in the proposed diagnostic criteria for Internet addiction. Cyberpsychol Behav 4: 377-383.
- Lopez AL (2004) Internet addiction: Conceptualization and intervention proposal. Spanish professional magazine. Cogn Behav Ther 2: 22-52.
- Griffiths M (2005) A ‘components’ model of addiction within a biopsychosocial framework. J Subst Use 10: 191-197.
- Turel O, Serenko A (2012) The benefits and dangers of enjoyment with social networking websites. Eur J Inform Syst 21: 512-528.
- Medrano JL, Rosales FL, Loving RD (2017) Addictive behavior to social networks and their relationship with the problematic use of mobile. Act of Psychological Research 7: 2832-2838.
- Alavi SS, Alaghemandan H, Maracy MR, Jannatifard F, Eslami M, et al. (2012) Impact of addiction to internet on a number of psychiatric symptoms in students of isfahan universities, Iran, 2010. Int J Prev Med 3: 122-127.
- Ho RC, Zhang MW, Tsang TY, Toh AH, Pan F, et al. (2014) The association between internet addiction and psychiatric co-morbidity: A meta-analysis. BMC Psychiatry 14: 183.
- Sahin S, Ozdemir K, Unsal A (2013) Evaluation of the relationship between internet addiction and depression in university students. Medicinski glasnik Specijalne bolnice za bolesti štitaste žlezde i bolesti metabolizma" Zlatibor" 18: 14-27.
- Aboujaoude E (2016) Rising suicide rates: An under-recognized role for the Internet? World Psychiatry 15: 225-227.
- Becerra Guajardo JR (2017) Addictive behavior to social networks and relationship with the model of the five personality factors (Doctoral dissertation, Autonomous University of Nuevo León).
- Lee S (2015) Analyzing negative SNS behaviors of elementary and middle school students in Korea. Comput Human Behav 43: 15-27.
- Ayas T, Horzum M (2013) Relation between depression, loneliness, self-esteem and internet addiction. Education 133: 283-290.
- Gámez-Guadix M, Orue I, Smith PK, Calvete E (2013) Longitudinal and reciprocal relations of cyberbullying with depression, substance use, and problematic internet use among adolescents. J Adolesc Health 53: 446-452.
- Jeong SH, Kim H, Yum JY, Hwang Y (2016) What type of content are smartphone users addicted to?: SNS vs. Games. Comput Human Behav 54: 10-17.
- Błachnio A, Przepiórka A, Pantic I (2015) Internet use, facebook intrusion, and depression: Results of a cross-sectional study. Eur Psychiatry 30: 681-684.
- Cheung LM, Wong WS (2011) The effects of insomnia and internet addiction on depression in Hong Kong Chinese adolescents: An exploratory cross-sectional analysis. J Sleep Res 20: 311-317.
- Vilca LW, Vallejos M (2015) Construction of the risk of addiction to social networks scale (Cr. ARS). Comput Human Behav 48: 190-198.
- Serrano MB, Al-Halabí S, Burón P, Garrido M, Díaz-Mesa EM, et al. (2017) Use and abuse of psychotropic substances and the Internet, psychopathology and suicidal ideation in adolescents. Addictions 29: 97-104.
- Leung L, Lee PS (2012) The influences of information literacy, internet addiction and parenting styles on internet risks. New Media and Society 14: 117-136.
- Etindele Sosso FA, Molotchnikoff S (2012) Relation between cognitive impairment and the combined effects of environmental factors. Annual meeting on Depression, Anxiety and Stress Management 2016, Barcelone, Espagne.
- Etindele Sosso F (2018) Allostastic load and allostatic weight: A literature review of a confusing concept. J Neurol Neurosci 9: 242-247.
- Raouafi S, Etindele Sosso FA (2017) Cyberpsychology: Video games as a perspective for cognitive training. Ment Health Addict Res 2: 1-2.
- Kuss DJ, Griffiths MD (2012) Internet and gaming addiction: A systematic literature review of neuroimaging studies. Brain Sci 2: 347-374.
- He Q, Turel O, Bechara A (2017) Brain anatomy alterations associated with Social Networking Site (SNS) addiction. Sci Rep 7: 45064.
- LaRose R, Lin CA, Eastin MS (2003) Unregulated internet usage: Addiction, habit, or deficient self-regulation? Media Psychol 5: 225-253.
- Alonso C, Romero E (2019) Sexting behavior in adolescents: Predictors of personality and psychosocial consequences in one year of follow-up. Ann Psychol 35: 214-224.