Commentary, J Sleep Disor Treat Care Vol: 10 Issue: 2
Effect of Pregnancy on Sleep
Department of pharmacy, Andhra University, Vishakhapatnam, India
Department of pharmacy
Andhra University, Vishakhapatnam, India
E-mail: [email protected]
Received: February 1, 2021 Accepted: February 15, 2021 Published: February 22, 2021
Citation: Gulia A(2021) Effect of Pregnancy on Sleep. J Sleep Disor: Treat Care10:2 (256).
Getting a good sleep is important to mother and child health, for pregnant women getting sleepless night lead to fatigue, day time sleeping, leading to change in sleep cycle and effecting maternal and fetal health mentally. Sleep plays important role in health of baby like memory, appetite, and learning. Now a day’s sleep duration has been declining in women priority list. Sleep deprivation have shown adverse effect on birth results like preterm delivery and mental issues like postpartum illness and depression. Pregnancy deals with different physical, hormonal and physiological changes effecting sleep, most of the women experience sleep disturbances during pregnancy. Insomnia, leg cramps, obstructive sleep Apnea, restless leg syndrome, gastro oesophageal reflux disorder majorly occurring problems during pregnancy. Lifestyle and prevention of things are considered
Keywords: Pregnant; Insomnia; Postpartum Illness; Short naps
Pregnant; Insomnia; Postpartum Illness; Short naps
Various factors are considered during pregnancy which effect sleep during pregnancy, insomnia, sleep positions, fluctuating hormonal level, leg cramps, body temperature, mood, emotions, and hormones. Change in sleep cycle during pregnancy increases in first trimester, frequently waking up in middle of night , leading to no proper sleep and leading to maternal fatigue , anxiety, decrease in functioning of immune system, hypothalamus, adrenal functioning and hypertension and reduce glucose tolerance and irritability, so by increased complications it lead to prolonged labour, caesarean section, after delivery postpartum blues. Basically during pregnancy common symptoms are seen like over tiredness, irresistible sleep and change in hormones like extra release of progesterone, in beginning of pregnancy lowers blood pressure and sugar, making women tired. So, tiredness is directly related to inability to get good sleep during night.
Steps For Improve Health During Pregnancy
• Avoiding spicy food and junk food so that heart burn is prevented, which is indigestion leading to burn in chest and throat leading to improper sleep at nights.
• Restless leg syndrome – This type of things are more distracting during pregnancy as pregnant women can’t take RLS
• Restless leg syndrome – This type of things are more distracting during pregnancy as pregnant women can’t take RLS medicines so to reduce this syndrome, good prenatal vitamin food and medicines are taken which includes folate and iron.
• Morning sickness – Soothing and calming things are kept aside during nauseas sensations hit smelling it would make feel better.
• Insomnia- Self therapy is needed so as to prevent anxiousness that is writing down things which are stressing your mind, and diverting mind during sleep, caffeine is avoided and not taking long laps during daytime.
• Leg cramps – These leg cramps are contraction of calf muscle occurring at thighs and maybe foot, making you to difficulty in sleeping, these causes to people with mineral deficient like calcium, magnesium, and chloride, drinking lots of water and fluids.
• Sleeping in a comfortable position -Sleeping at left side is considered good to babies as it improve blood flow, nutrient flow to baby. Taking frequent bathroom breaks so that your sleep is not disturbed at night time.
• Sleep Changes during Pregnancy Nausea, vomiting, shortness of breath, frequent nightmare and night time frequent urination.
Insufficiency of sleep has effects on both mother and children which is considered important to sleep during night times. Proper knowledge about sleep is provided to pregnant women to avoid risk factors related to sleep deprivation and by examine their sleep cycle their adverse effect can be improved and fetal adversity can be prevented.