Journal of Hydrogeology & Hydrologic EngineeringISSN: 2325-9647

All submissions of the EM system will be redirected to Online Manuscript Submission System. Authors are requested to submit articles directly to Online Manuscript Submission System of respective journal.

Research Article, J Hydrogeol Hydrol Eng Vol: 5 Issue: 3

Evaluation of Groundwater Resources for Drinking and Domestic Purposes in Related to Human Activities at Assiut Area- Egypt

Mamdouh S Morsi1* and Abdelhai A Farrag2
1Department of Mines and Quarry, Minia Governorate, Egypt
2Geology Department, Faculty of Science, Assiut University, Egypt
Corresponding author : Mamdouh S. Morsi
Department of Mines and Quarry,Minia Governorate, Egypt
[email protected]
Received: February 09, 2016 Accepted: July 01, 2016 Published: July 08, 2016
Citation: Morsi MS, Farrag AA (2016) Evaluation of Groundwater Resources for Drinking and Domestic Purposes in Related to Human Activities at Assiut Area- Egypt. J Hydrogeol Hydrol Eng 5:3. doi:10.4172/2325-9647.1000140


Generally, the arid zones are characterized by scare or limitation in their water resources. During the last few years, these water resources suffered from agricultural, human and urbanization pollutants. So a plan for water quality assessment is needed. The present study aims to evaluate groundwater resources for drinking and domestic purposes. To achieve this goal, 109 groundwater samples was collected from groundwater resources in Assiut Governorate at autumn season 2013. Chemical analysis of the major and some trace elements were care out at Geology Department - Faculty of Science - Minia University and Environmental Affairs Agency. World Health Organization and Egyptian Stander guideline taken into consideration in evaluating the water for human drinking and domestic uses. The resulted data of chemical analysis of major and trace elements showed that; About 96.3% of groundwater samples are ranging between acceptable and permissible for human drinking and only 3.7% of groundwater samples are unsuitable due to their high content of total dissolved solids (TDS). But Most of groundwater samples (91.74%) are unacceptable for human drinking because it's higher content of some minor and trace elements as Manganese (Mn), Cadmium (Cd) and Chromium (Cr) and the remain samples are acceptable. According to (WHO, 2004) and Eg. St., (1995, 2007) guidelines for drinking water quality, [Total dissolved Soled (TDS), major ions, minor and trace, etc constituents]- total evaluation; about 96.3% of groundwater samples incompatible and the rest samples are compatible when compared with (WHO, 2004). While 8.26% compatible and 91.74% of groundwater samples are incompatible when compared with (Eg. St. 1995, (2007). All groundwater samples 100 % are very hard for domestic and laundry. According to the guideline National Academy of science (NAS) and National Academy of Engineering (NAE), (1972) and (Mckee, 1963), most groundwater samples (96.3 %) are excellent for livestock and poultry. The rest 3.7 % are very satisfactory. The present study recommends management of pollution sources, including an application of Agrochemicals and controlling the seepage of wastewater from rural as well as management of wastewater treatment plants, protecting the area around the pumping well and the outlet of drinking water treatment plants, Continuous monitoring of water resource using for drinking purposes.

Keywords: Groundwater resources; Drinking; Domestic human activities;Assiut governorate; Egypt

international publisher, scitechnol, subscription journals, subscription, international, publisher, science

Track Your Manuscript

Recommended Conferences

open access