Journal of Sleep Disorders: Treatment and CareISSN: 2325-9639

All submissions of the EM system will be redirected to Online Manuscript Submission System. Authors are requested to submit articles directly to Online Manuscript Submission System of respective journal.

Research Article, J Sleep Disor Treat Care Vol: 7 Issue: 3

Five Year Compliance to Positive Airway Pressure in Patients with Sleep Apnea Syndrome

Meltem Tulagar1*, Murad Mutlu2, Melike Yuceege2, Hikmet Firat2 and Sadik Ardic3

1Yildirim Beyazit University KBB, Turkey

2S B Ankara Diskapi Yildirim Beyazit Training and Research Hospital, Turkey

3Department of Chest Diseases, Kafkas University, Turkey

*Corresponding Author : Dr. Meltem Tulagar
Yildirim Beyazit University KBB, Bilkent Road 3, Cankaya, Ankara, Turkey
Tel: 0312 324 15 55-3613br> E-mail:

Received: November 28, 2017 Accepted: June 28, 2018 Published: September 05, 2018

Citation: Tulagar M, Mutlu M, Yuceege M, Firat H, Ardic S (2018) Five Year Compliance to Positive Airway Pressure in Patients with Sleep Apnea Syndrome. J Sleep Disor Treat Care 7:3. doi: 10.4172/2325-9639.1000216


Study objectives: Compliance is the adherence of the patient to CPAP therapy after his/her decision to start treatment. The aim of this study is to evaluate the compliance to PAP therapy in a large patient population and the results were presented after 5 years of follow-up period in order to emphasize longterm compliance with CPAP treatment in the light of the literature.

Methods: Patients who could not afford CPAP device or attend regular controls were excluded from the study and the remaining 174 patients were included in the study. At the end of 5 years, the patients were called back. A total of 110 patients met the eligibility criteria for the study110 patients (79 males, 31 females) whose charts were reviewed

Results: Fifty of 110 study participants (45.5%) regularly used PAP device for ≥4 hours and the remaining 60 (54.5%) patients did not use PAP device regularly. At the end of 5 years, we found that 36.4% of the patients used the device 4 hours a night. AHI severity does not affect adherence to the device and compliance rates (χ2=2.743; p=0.254)

Conclusion: The patients compliance rates with their PAP devices was found in accord with the literature. This study conveys greater importance than other relevant studies in the literature and it encompasses a larger patient population follow up for a long period.

Keywords: Sleep apnea syndrome; Positive airway pressure; Compliance

international publisher, scitechnol, subscription journals, subscription, international, publisher, science

Track Your Manuscript

Awards Nomination

open access