The Medical University of South Carolina has served the citizens of South Carolina since 1824. It has expanded from a small private college for the training of physicians to a state university with a medical center and six colleges for the education of a broad range of health professionals, biomedical scientists and other health related personnel. When the Medical College of South Carolina was chartered by the South Carolina legislature on December 20, 1823 it became the tenth medical school in the United States and the first in the Deep South. Founded as a private, proprietary institution by members of the Medical Society of South Carolina, the colleges early faculty bore full financial and curricular responsibility for the institution until 1913 when the state assumed ownership of the school. The institution has served continuously since its founding, except for a four-year cessation during the Civil War. Following the Civil War, the college was reorganized and continued to operate, at one point with as few as two students. The 1910 Flexner Report noted that there were 34 faculty, all part time, and 213 students whose fees were the only source of financial support for the school. In late 1913 the state legislature was successfully petitioned to transfer ownership of the school to the state. Incorporation of the medical college as a state institution brought public funding, and allowed teaching and service roles to expand steadily.
The following is the list of scholars from University of South Carolina School of Medicine who currently serve as editors for one or more SciTechnol journals.
The following is the list of articles by scholars from University of South Carolina School of Medicine that are published in SciTechnol journals.
- Editorial: JSCP
- Research Article: J Surg Clin Pract
Sumit Sharma, Meena NN, Pratap A, Saroj SK, Shukla VK and Bhartiya SK